Do patients with Parkinson’s Disease receive their medication on time?

Allison, Emma and Jonker, Leon (2012) Do patients with Parkinson’s Disease receive their medication on time? Online Journal of Clinical Audits, 4 (1). Full text not available from this repository.

(Contact the author)
Official URL: http://www.clinicalaudits.com/index.php/ojca/artic...

Abstract

Aims: To audit any delays in delivery of patients’ usual anti-Parkinson’s disease medication (PD medication) when admitted to the acute admissions.

Methods: A retrospective audit of 17 patient admissions conducted in November 2010 at the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle (CIC), examining the delay in medication delivery from time of admission. Following improvement strategies, a prospective re-audit of 15 admissions was carried out between 11 months later to monitor any improvements made. A data collection sheet was devised and used for both audits.

Results: Initial audit showed only 47% of patients did not experience delays with medicine administration; 29% waited more than 24hours. Re-audit showed a reduction in waiting times, with 73% of patients experiencing no delay and the remaining 27% waiting less than 24hours.

Conclusions: Vast improvements made, reducing delay in delivery of patients’ usual anti-Parkinson’s disease medication, though not statistically significant. Ongoing improvement plans have education at the centre, to improve understanding amongst health care professionals of potential serious consequences omission of anti-Parkinson’s medication can have.

Item Type: Article
Journal or Publication Title: Online Journal of Clinical Audits
Publisher: ClinicalAudits.com
ISSN: 2042-4779
Departments: Faculty of Health and Science > Medical and Sports Sciences > Health and Medical Sciences
Additional Information: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
Depositing User: Anna Lupton
Date Deposited: 25 Oct 2017 15:45
Last Modified: 25 Oct 2017 15:45
URI: http://insight.cumbria.ac.uk/id/eprint/3349

Actions (repository staff only)

Edit Item Edit Item